Saturday, August 27, 2011

2007 Brandborg Gewürztraminer

This Umpqua Valley Oregon Gewürztraminer is a small production of only 798 cases. There is also a dry version made from Brandborg which is another 241 cases. I wasn't sure whether or not I had the sweet or dry style until I read that the dry wine had less then 1% residual sugar. This wine definitely is a touch sweet but really isn't packed full of sugar. It's more of a sleek style which I like.

On the nose this wine is very expressive and shows beautiful notes of ripe peach, leeche nut, and citrus aromas. On the palate the wine has a amazingly crisp attack of leeche and fresh apricot nectar. There is some sugar which I love but it comes across in a sleek and crisp style which is refreshing.

It's a simple wine but one that would pair brilliantly with Thai food or any kind of spicy Asian cuisine. It finishes with a nice little zip of fruit and acid on the finish. 88 points

Click here to find out more about this wine