Saturday, August 27, 2011

2010 South Coast Winery Tempranillo Rosé

South Coast Winery produces some very nice wine from California's Temecula Valley appellation. This particular wine was sourced from the Carter Estate Vineyard and is made with the famous Spanish varietal of Tempranillo.

On the nose I get some really fresh and vibrant aromas of grapefruit, strawberry, red raspberry, and mineral. It's a very pretty and perfumed bouquet and one that I keep returning to my nose to enjoy!

On the palate I get lovely flavors of sweet red raspberry fruit and hints of candied strawberry. It's quite obvious that this wine has a substantial amount of residual sugar, and to be honest it almost reminds me of drinking a Brachetto d'acqui, but with a bit more acidity.

Look..., stylistically this wine is a bit different then most rosé that is on the market today. It is much sweeter than most California blush wines that fall into the "fine wine" category. However, I don't think that this makes this wine any less inferior. In fact, I think this is the perfect pool-side summer wine, that I wouldn't mind polishing off all by myself! 87 points

Below is a video of the winemaker talking about this wine: