Saturday, August 27, 2011

2005 Redoma Vinho Branco Reserva

I really don't get the opportunity to taste a wide variety of dry, white wine from Portugal, so this wine definitely sparked a bit of interest for me. It's produced by Niepoort which is a winery that specializes in both still and fortified wines. Click here to find out about the winery.

This particular wine is composed of several native Portuguese varietals called Rabigato, Codega, Donzelinho, Viosinho and Arinto. The wine was barrel fermented in 90% French oak for a total of 8 months, but does not undergo malolactic fermentation.

When I first took a whiff of this wine I immediately thought of a classic white Burgundy. It has a bouquet that is very reminiscent of clean, fruit-focused Chardonnay. However, as the wine starts to open up in the glass, more mineral and grassy notes start to appear, which turned my thoughts to Sauvignon Blanc and perhaps Spain's famed Albarino. Some descriptors of what I smelt were mineral, lemon curd, toast, citrus, and fresh wild flowers.

On the palate the wine boasts a round and slightly oily texture and shows flavors of mineral, lime peel, wet pavement, and very light hints of toast.

To be completely honest, I was expecting a lot more from this wine in terms of overall complexity. I think the Wine Advocate scored this wine like 93 points or something.....Anyways, all in all it's a well crafted wine but I can easily see many $10-15 dollar wines showing as well as this. 88 points